Friday, March 6, 2009

~*Sugar Islalnd Fairy*~

I’m CDS, a single Mom of two grown children & three terrific grandchildren. I moved to the Upper Peninsula of Michigan 16 years ago. I live in Sault Sainte Marie, but own property on Sugar Island & used to live there when I first came here.
Shortly after I moved here, I hit the “Boyfriend Lottery”! He goes by MPK & also lives on Sugar Island. We refer to his place as KFC & when I first met him he was just building his house. I helped him with what I could during the last phases of construction & most of the decorating, landscaping & gardening.
Because I work on the mainland, it’s more economical to live in my apartment in town. But, I spend as much of my free time as I can at KFC.
The island is named for the sugar maple trees that grow in abundance there. The original name was in the Ojibwa language but was changed by the British. It’s one of several islands in a chain between Canada & the U.S. It is one of the U.S. island’s, but we’re about a stone’s throw away from Canada! And we have the most beautiful views of Canada & the Laurentian mountains.
This area is one of the richest……in history, beauty & wildlife
And yes…….the only way to get there from here is the “Sugar Island Ferry”!

No comments:

Post a Comment