Thursday, March 12, 2009

Dirty Jobs




I gotta confess, I don’t watch much TV. I do like most of the programs on the Discovery channel. My favorite is “Dirty Jobs” with Mike Rowe. Well, guess who happens to be in our neck of the woods this week? Oh, yeah! It’s the man himself! He’s been up this way before a couple of times, but I didn’t get a chance to see those episodes. He did one where he changed a burnt out light bulb on the Mackinac Bridge and the other one was where he was on a horse-poo patrol on Mackinaw Island.
Guess I should explain that the state of Michigan consists of two peninsulas. We refer to them as the “lower” & “upper” peninsulas. They’re connected by the awesome 5 mile long Mackinac Bridge.
Mackinaw Island lies a couple of miles East of the bridge. Travel to the island is done by ferries or airplane. There are no motorized vehicles on the island during the tourist season. The only mode of transportation is either by walking, bicycle, or horse. Hence the “poo patrol” mission.

Besides being steeped in Native American, French, English as well as American history, the island is home to the most species of lilacs in one area in the world. And in these parts it’s also famous for having been where the movie, “Somewhere In Time” with Christopher Reed & Jane Seymour was filmed. The last time I was on the island - you couldn’t even walk down the road in front of that hotel without paying a charge of $5. A cup of coffee anywhere in town cost $2.50 & a hamburger was over $5!!! Sorry - I can get off on a tangent when it comes to things like over-inflated flavored water & a simple hamburger!
I can’t wait to find out when this episode of “Dirty Jobs” is going to air - I sure don’t want to miss this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment